Shirokane3 usage guide
From April 2015, Shirokane3, the next super computer system, will begin operating.
The schedule leading up to Shirokane3 beginning operating
- Shirokane2 partial cessation of operation.
- Shirokane3 Priority use begins.
- The middle of April
- Begin taking applications for Shirokane3 use.
- Shirokane3 Paid use begins.
The priotity use of Shirokane3 and the method for data copying from Shirokane2
During the priotity use period of April 13th to April 30th, absolutely anyone who is a Shirokane2 user can use Shirokane3. There is no need to submit a usage application form for Shirokane3 usage during this period, and no charge applies.
At the time of the priotity use, a new empty directory will be available as Shirokane3's home directory. When necessary, please copy data from Shirokane2.
For users whose Shirokane2 home directory exists in sshare4, they can copy the data to their preferred node of Shirokane3. Shirokane2's data can be accessed as /home_s2/[username]/.
Example: when copying Shirokane2's home directory data (directory or file) if to Shirokane3's home directory.
$ cp -vpr /home_s2/[username]/test_data /home/[username]/test_data
For users whose Shirokane2 home directory exists in nshare3, as a cue for data copy use, cp.q is available on Shirokane3. Shirokane2 data can be accessed from cp.q as /home_s2/[username]. Please either qlogin to cp.q and copy interactively, or qsub a copy job and execute data copying. For nodes other than cp.q, data copying will not be possible.
Example: a job copying data from Shirokane2 to Shirokane3
#!/bin/bash #$ -S /bin/bash #$ -cwd SRC="/home_s2/[username]" DEST="/home/[username]" cp -vpr $SRC/test_data $DEST/test_data
Example: qsub the job example shown above
$ qsub -l cp [jobname]
Please check what home disk your own home directory is located on, via the process described in the following URL.https://supcom.hgc.jp/japanese/utili_info/manual/faq.html#4558
Migrating from Shirokane2 to Shirokane3
After Shirokane3's paid use commence, Shirokane2 users can migrate to Shirokane3 even if they are still within their Shirokane2 usage period. In this case, it will be calculated as Shirokane2 usage up until the month prior to the transition date, and from the month of the transition date onwards it will be calculated as Shirokane3 usage. It will not be calculated as both Shirokane2 and Shirokane3 usage for the month in which the migration takes place.
If you wish to use both Shirokane3 and Shirokane2, they will be charged for separately.
When migrating from Shirokane2 to Shirokane3, your Shirokane3 home directory will be decided depending on the location of the home directory that you used with Shirokane2.
If your Shirokane2 home directory was sshare4
- Your Shirokane2 home directory will become your Shirokane3 home directory with no change.
- When you migrate from Shirokane2, there will be no need to transfer your data.
- The home directory that you used during your Shirokane3 priotity use will become unusable. (The home directory that was used during the priotity use will be able to be accessed for one month with an absolute path.)
- When migrating from Shirokane2, please transfer to Shirokane3 the data you used with Shirokane2. (For example,via the method of copying data from Shirokane2 as mentioned above)
- The home directory that was used during the Shirokane3 priotity use period will become your Shirokane3 home directory.
- You will still be able to use your Shirokane2 home directory.
If your Shirokane2 home directory was nshare3
Your home directory that was used during the Shirokane3 priotity use will become your Shirokane3 home directory.
When using both Shirokane2 and Shirokane3 without migrating
Applying to use Shirokane3
We intend to start accepting applications for Shirokane3 use from the middle of April onwards. We will advise more details separately.
Shirokane3 usage charges
Please click here.
How to use Shirokane3
Please click here. We intend to update this page from time to time.